Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Volition Overview

Volition Overview 
Reviews:

I had the chance to Beta read Volition. What and emotion ride. I read the book in three days. Currently in my secound read but just taking it slow to soak it all in. ( Note i'll come back and add a second read review.) Volition wasn't written for the readers it was written for the author and I think that is how every author should write, for them . The characters and the story spoke to me and affected my life. Volition will always be in my heart and on my favorite list. It was dark and intriguing. Tate is character you may dislike and you may not relate but she is somebody who is hurting like most of us. Catherine her best friend reminded me of my self little. Kind of the adult in every situation. We laugh as a bookclub about which character is which person. And I have been designated to her. Which is not a bad thing.  There where some parts that I disliked in the book and some parts I overly loved. That is why Volition will be unforgettable. 

" The story was lined with black and drowned in glitter.. Volition is one of the books that makes you reflect on life's  past , present, and future."- Booksalamodek ( Abbeys blurb)
- Abbey 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I wasn't sure what to expect going into this book. I had heard I was going to love or hate it, would cry or laugh, and basically bubble over with emotions. Most of all, I prepared myself for an unhappy ending. Because that's what would make me emotional, right? Well, I did love it. I did cry. And laugh. And I smiled through me tears in the end, because the ending was both sad and happy, but also perfect. The characters in this story were unlike many I have read about. They aren't underdeveloped, run-of-the-mill, or boring. And they certainly don't lack passion. Tate is both a heroine and a villain. She gets in the way of her own happiness in ways that made me want to shake sense into her. Hayden has perfection personified, but he isn't as one-dimensional as I originally thought. I loved Colin and Catherine for both their relationship that proves opposites  can live in harmony and their unwavering loyalty in friendship. And don't get me started on Jesse. I have a love/hate relationship with him. Overall, this book gave me major feels. It also gave me lots to ponder. I can't help thinking that this entire story would have gone differently if only a few things had changed. But that's part of what this book is about. Everything is connected in some small way. We are who we are because of the experiences we have, both good and bad. And maybe the crappy things that happens to us are leading to something greater. In the end, I am so happy for the lives I lived reading this book. I hope everyone finds the person that will love them for all their little imperfections :)
5/5 stars for sure Medium white star
- Jordan

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my second time reading Volition, and once again the book blew me away. The only way to understand this book is to look at the world through Tate’s eyes. Most of the books that I’ve read in the past are too happy that it’s almost unrealistic. The best books in my opinion are books with miserable characters, miserable characters make you feel a little more human. It’s sort of like telling yourself that this is not the end, you’re still sane enough to keep living. Volition covers most of the topics that most authors avoid writing about. I loved how open the book was to the topic of death. Not everyone will understand what Volition is about. You are entitled to your own opinion… I’m giving virtual hugs to everyone who loved this book as much as I did.  *steals Hayden from Tate* #sorrynotsorry

-Shelsea

Q&A W/ Author:

What was your inspiration for each of the main characters in Volition?
Tate- When I wrote Tate, I was in a very angsty, dark place. I was not an easy person to deal with because I was very quickly angered and hard to be around. I wasn't sure what I was doing with my life. She was a way to get all of this out without ruining all of my relationships.
Hayden- The person that inspired him will remain anonymous, as the rest of the characters will, since he hasn't yet figured out who he is, but there's someone (or a few people combined) in my life that led to the creation of Hayden. He also has quite a few characteristics that came from my own personality as well, which I think made him more dynamic.
Catherine- She knows who she is! :) For Catherine I used actual conversations that I've had with my best friend, who went to NYU. I also departed from her personality a little bit too, so for anyone who knows her that might be reading this - don't read too much into it. ;) 
Jesse- My relationship with someone in my life inspired this entire book. He and I have had a connection since we were very little, and I started to wonder why, and how that would play out if our lives were different. Thus, Jesse and Tate's tumultuous relationship was born. As I wrote in the foreword, this book was extremely cathartic for me, and I wanted to see if anyone else had a "Jesse" in their life that they couldn't quite shake.
Colin- One of my best friends inspired Colin. We quite literally had the strangest friendship anyone's ever seen, but it was beautiful at the same time. 

Which character in Volition do you connect with the most?
Tate, Hayden, and Jesse, because I used pieces of myself to create them.
If you had to pick a character in Volition to meet a character in Ignite who would meet and how?
Oooh, that's a good one. I wish they could all meet, but I think I'd have Tate meet Lauren. Sometimes Lauren needs to suck it up and stop crying, and Tate would give her some tough love.
What is your favorite place in New York?
The top of the Empire State Building and The Grey Dog on University.
What was your favorite scene to write in Volition?
Definitely the scene where everyone's perspectives come in. It was so challenging because I wanted to make sure each character had a distinct voice, so that you wouldn't get confused, and so that everyone was heard. I didn't want to do that for the entirety of the book, but I felt like for that specific scene, it was necessary to feel all of that individual emotion. I also made it go forward and then back out of the perspectives in reverse order so that you got to see the scene unfold around Tate's perspective since she was in the center.












Lily's Paradis contact info:
Blog- Tumblr-Insta-Twitter-Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment