Saturday, May 16, 2015

Shelsea's Super Saturday

Hello lovelies,

Today, I’ll discuss about five books that I’m ecstatic to read. Psssst. I also have another special guest! Aliya McReynolds is an inspiring seventeen-year-old author. This just proves that anyone and everyone can be an author. A piece of paper does not define your intellect. If there’s one thing that I’ve learned is that we’re all bound to fall, but we keep living even in our own pity.

I’m so sorry that I’m late with my SSS post. Life got in the way. I also had to accept the fact that I can’t change time. I would like to dedicate this post to my cousin who graduated in Business Management.

We’re more like strangers than actual cousins.  I have no idea what you’ve gone through in life and vice versa. I’m sorry we’re so distant when we’re freaking family. I know nothing about you, and saying congratulations sounds corny. How can I wish you congratulations? When we don’t even talk.  I wished you played that role on being my big brother because I need you to be that big brother more than ever. Here’s to the future.


Five Books That I Desperately Want To Read 


Admit it there are too many books on your bookshelf that you haven't read yet. It's bad enough that you have a tbr pile, and it's the fact that you keep adding more books to your pile. Books are not cheap. Instagram makes it worse as people continue to taunt you with their latest reads. Being a book lover is not easy. We struggle and strive in the book world. We are greedy with our books and we aren't afraid to admit it.

 People think our bookshelves are their personal libraries. Excuse me, m'am the library is across the street. Do us both a favor and get yo grimy hands off of my books! 

Don't even get me started on the imaginary list of books that we have to buy.

This is my list of books I've been dying to read:


_________________________________________________________________________________



 ALIYA MCREYNOLDS TAKEOVER




When did you know that you wanted to write?


There was honestly never a time when I didn’t know that I wanted to be a writer. From the age of six I remember asking my mom to publish a fantasy book I’d written about this boy that discovered a new world from the drain in his swimming pool. I’d draw little pictures and then I’d staple the pieces of paper together and I’d keep them in my room. I wish I’d known what happened to them because I’d love to go back and read them now. Funny enough, I still have ideas for that fantasy book stored away on my computer and I plan on someday publishing that.

Did writing ever feel intimidating for you, or was it something that just came naturally for you?

Because I’ve been writing for so long, I wouldn’t say that it ever intimidated me, but there were times when I questioned whether I was really good enough to continue writing. I remember feeling this way specifically when I started reading the Harry Potter series. Comparing yourself to J.K. Rowling will discourage anyone I think. For a long time I felt like my book needed to be written in a specific writing voice that’s found in classic literature like To Kill A Mockingbird. I think that when I really started reading more modern young adult novels, I realized that they didn’t all have to be super lofty and in third person.

How does it feel to write a book and influence others in the process?

Finishing a book is such a big achievement and I’ve really tried to enjoy it as much as I can. The hardest part for me was letting my book go and not feeling the need to constantly go back and change it. I don’t think art can ever be fully finished in the eyes of the artist. As far as it influencing others, that is definitely my goal with it! Stories are one of the most powerful forms of communication and if it doesn’t move the audience, then it’s not doing the job right. As a Christian, I want to show the world that you can create a good story without having to glorify sexual content and pervasive language. Whatever success comes from that will be because God allowed it.

For those wondering what I’m working on now, it’s a fantasy/romance novel called Wolf Heart! I am super excited about this book because I feel like the writing style is incredibly strong and the story has a lot to offer. What’s it about? Well, here is the synopsis: When Andrea wakes up in a log cabin in the middle of the woods; she can’t remember who she is or where she came from. All she knows is that she almost drowned in a river and her rescuer, a handsome but mysterious boy, is determined to help her. Can she trust him and his mother? Are they hiding something? Andrea must unveil the truth about her rescuers in order to find the truth about herself. . . I start professionally editing Wolf Heart this month and plan to publish it before the end of the year!

Aside from being an author, I am a huge film buff! On my website aliyamcreynolds.com I am constantly writing reviews for all of the movies I see. Not into movies? Well, I started a blog on my website that might interest you. My intention with the blog is to provide helpful articles for authors who need writing/publishing advice and share everything I’ve learned.

For all of those still with me, I have a special treat for you! A sneak peak from Wolf Heart.


When I wake up the next morning, I am still on the boat, but it's halfway on land and Luka isn't in it.
I blink the sunlight from my eyes, wrap the blanket tighter around my shoulders, and step out onto the cool ground. The smell of mud and trees is more potent today than usual.
 I go to the spot where I’m supposed to meet Luka for hunting and his gun is still there. I guess all I can do now is wait for him.
I lean back against the tree and let the warmth of the sun kiss my skin. After a while, I begin to worry. What if he’s hurt? What if something attacked him? I should look for him. He’d never tell me to meet him somewhere and just not show up. It wasn’t like him at all.
I head toward the river, thinking that he might have gone back for me––it’s eerily still.
“Luka?” My voice is strangled with foreboding. No reply. He must be at the cave. I trudge back to the original meeting spot and make a right from it. From a distance I can see nothing, but I check inside just to make sure.
“Luka?” The cave is dark and empty. There’s only one more place he can be. Trying not to get ahead of myself, I race back to the house. When the little cabin is in view, I see Ediline and Luka together in conversation. I slow to a stop within hearing distance and hide behind a tree.
“You’re being ridiculous, Mama,” I hear Luka say. She grips his shoulder tightly.
“No, you’re the one who is being ridiculous.” Anger is lit behind her eyes as she speaks, every word bathed in frustration. “That girl finds out what you really are and it’s over. I just don’t want her to break your heart! Who knows how long she’ll have to be here. I don’t know if we can afford for her to find out the truth.”
What truth? What are they talking about? I feel betrayed, but even more so, I feel anxious because right now I have no escape. I’ve been so vulnerable with him, so exposed. One lie will shatter our whole friendship––or whatever it is we have. One lie will shatter every truth I’ve ever known.
“What are you suggesting?” he says, the lines on his forehead wrinkled in concentration.
“I’m suggesting that you end this before you get too attached. We need to be extra cautious, Luka. We need to be proactively trying to help her remember things. She can’t stay here forever or she will find out about you. About us. If that happens, we’ll have to get rid of her and I don’t think you’ll want to do that.”

Thank you so much thedailystrugglesofabooknnerd for having me! It’s been a real pleasure! J

                                                   www.aliyamcreynolds.com

No comments:

Post a Comment